Saturday, March 29, 2014

Saturday Three-Line Movie Review




Display at the Arclight, Los Angeles, CA
***

Watching Wes Anderson's The Grand Budapest Hotel was like listening to a bedtime story told by a group of men I adore while tripping on mushrooms (the only drug I can honestly say that the two times I tried it were about as good as it gets) without a hangover and a tray full of beautiful pastries right beside my bed. The movie was as visually beautiful as you could possibly imagine (the pinks! the blues!) and as zany as a Wes Anderson movie can be, and while there were moments where I wondered what the hell, everything worked with a near-Felliniesque aplomb. Oh, and Ralph Fiennes -- Rafe, Rafe, Rafe, je t'adore.






***The photo is of a display in the theater's lobby and is the original model created by the art team. One of the many reasons that I love this nutball city is that we get to see things like this at 11:30 on a Friday morning.





Other 3-Line Movie Reviews:

Gloria

Labor Day 
Philomena

9 comments:

  1. I so enjoy your movie reviews, useful yet entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you loved it! Going today or tomorrow myself. There will, however, be no model of the hotel in the lobby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your movie reviews too. I'm so glad you loved this movie, I hope to love it too. And I adore Ralph too. I am jealous of your movie theater and your nutball city.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a must - see, meaning I must see it~! Yes, RF....yummm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm on the fence about this movie. From the previews it looks almost TOO zany. I like Wes Anderson best when he's dealing with quirky people and relationships, and not destroying houses with lightning strikes. Know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is a movie i hope not to miss, though i'm not sure how i'm ever going to watch it given that we have no cinemas, no video rentals, no fast internet ... probably on some plane, in years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved that movie. And I love, like Fantastic Mr. Fox, he manages to get an arrow right to the heart somehow and hit something deep. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We saw it last night, and I loved it - LOVED it. Laughed out loud, enjoyed the visuals, the characters, dialogue (the language kept surprising & making me laugh out loud). The casting was inspired, and yes, Rafe! He is as much a chameleon as Meryl Streep - I can't look away. To me, it was as good as The Princess Bride, but even better for grownups. (BTW, Gregg was lukewarm about it - go figure!)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...