Saturday, December 28, 2013

Saturday Three-Line Movie Review***

via Movies in Literature




Spike Jonze' new movie Her worked on me in a subtle and curious way, delving as the director so often does, into the deep recesses of the unconscious mind, identity and what it means to be in relationship with others. While Joaquin Phoenix' mustache often distracted me from fully appreciating his character, the high-waisted woolen pants and pink shirt he wore, as well as the fabulously colored and designed settings in a future Los Angeles, balanced it out on the plus side. The movie was interesting and provocative (will we really be walking around with nifty little earplugs, conversing with operating systems programmed intuitively?), and even though I missed the last few minutes due to Sophie's terrible fall, I agreed with my friend S that it was refreshing to see a movie about the future that was eerie and prescient without being dystopian.








***And how fabulous is that photo? Can I tell you that when I googled "vintage moviegoer," it came up on my screen and happens to be a photo of a line of movie-goers at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (my own alma mater!) and that guy with his leg out, looking at the camera, is Walker Percy, the novelist who penned The Moviegoer. I love the internets!




Other 3-line movie reviews:

3 comments:

  1. I really want to see that movie. I heard it's good and I love your review. I hope Sophie is doing better today after her fall. So sorry it happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the trailer for that movie and I was intrigued but sort of afraid I'd hate it. No? Since I've become such a movie-goer, maybe I'll check it out.
    You give good critique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must see that movie. And I'm with you on his mustache - even in the previews I find it distracting to no end!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...