Saturday, October 18, 2014

Saturday Three-Line Movie Review



Gone Girl

I confess that I'm one of the few people in the universe that didn't unequivocally love the book (but rather thought it was one of the more hateful things I'd read in years) and had no intention of seeing the movie, but I was persuaded to do so when the alternatives were to attend a high school football game, hang out in the Valley or watch Dracula: The Truth Untold, so you can imagine my desperation and low expectations. Despite the visual candy that is Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike, I maintain that just like the novel, the movie is a slick and soul-less creation with no sympathetic characters that made me long for the halycon days of real thrillers and intimate portraits of marriage and lust, not to mention a hot shower. When my children texted me about two hours in that the football game had ended, I gratefully clambered over the rapt audience and left the theater, missing not only Ben Affleck's supposedly glorious netherparts, but also, evidently, and as usual for me, the depressing cultural zeitgeist in this, the two thousand and fifteenth year of our lord.










More 3-Line Movie Reviews

Saint Vincent

Get on Up
Begin Again
Chef
The Immigrant

Cesar Chavez

The Grand Budapest Hotel
Gloria

Labor Day 
Philomena

4 comments:

  1. I find myself liking movies less and less - liking books more and more - and am grateful for your hidden book review within a movie review - you have saved me some time and trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude! I am SO with you on this. Dreadful book, no desire to see the movie. Awful characters, terrible premise. Terrible.

    I'm reading The New Jim Crow-soberling but useful.

    XXX Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could not read that book either. Awful. And there are very few movies that interest me these days. Maybe just the foreign ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did read the book and still can't figure out the reason it blew up the way it did.
    Nah, I won't go see the movie.
    These three line movie reviews are tiny works of art.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...