Saturday, April 5, 2014

Saturday Three-Line Movie Review



Cesar Chavez

I literally fled to the movies this morning, anxious and exhausted after a day of interviews and people clamoring about medical marijuana and the weight of nineteen years of dealing with shit and was promptly knocked flat on my face by Diego Luna's film Cesar Chavez, about a man who fought an infinitely harder battle for others. If you're an Angeleno, you know his story (and this past Monday was Cesar Chavez day with a holiday from school), but I didn't really know his story until the moment I began watching this very moving, almost cinema verite-style movie. The suffering rained down on the people who farmed our food, the obduracy of the powers-that-be (the almighty Governor Ronald Reagan comes out very poorly in this, presaging his breaking another union many years later as President), and the gentle, yet powerfully dignified actions of this simple man moved me to tears, so much so that I hope every single American man, woman and child goes to see this movie and learns a bit more about his incredible life.







Other 3-Line Movie Reviews:

The Grand Budapest Hotel
Gloria

Labor Day 
Philomena


4 comments:

  1. There are people who, if not actual saints, are close enough. I think the universe produces these when we need them most.
    I don't know what I'm talking about. Obviously. But maybe you can get my meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see this movie. I see the pickers everyday. And when I eat strawberries I think of them. I've heard they call the fruit la fruta del diablo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shall! They recently re-named a street near me after him, so I definitely need to study up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will go based on your review alone - sounds like a good date with myself

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...