Saturday, May 24, 2014

Saturday Three-Line Movie Review



The Immigrant

The reason why I was particularly happy watching this movie was not because it told the sad story of an immigrant from Poland whose luck ran out the moment she hit Ellis Island, but rather because I sipped a fruity draft beer while doing so, having literally run out of the house in the late afternoon to a 21+ theater after punishing both of my sons for -- well -- that has nothing to do with the movie. I love Marion Cotillard's face, and she appears in nearly every single frame of this poignant film, as does her co-star, Joaquin Phoenix who I grew to love after his performance in Her, but that has nothing to do with this movie either. I think the only thing I have left to say is that The Immigrant was beautifully crafted and well-acted but entirely predictable (the sacrifices of our forefathers! the dismal outlook for women! the promise of America dashed!) except for the fuzzy yet brilliant opening shot of the back of Lady Liberty which should have told me right then how it would all turn out.







More 3-Line Movie Reviews

Chef
Cesar Chavez

The Grand Budapest Hotel
Gloria

Labor Day 
Philomena

2 comments:

  1. there is a theater that sells beer? gaw. beer and popcorn. immigration and the american dream gone awry. How could it have gone terribly wrong if there are theaters in which you can drink beer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your three line movie reviews need to be syndicated!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...