Saturday, June 13, 2015

Saturday Three-Line Movie Review




love and mercy

This is a movie that you don't want to see alone as I did yesterday, as I've done a thousand times in order to keep what's sacred in my head, not have it be disrupted by opinion or someone breaking the spell, but love and mercy so overwhelmed me in its beauty and intensity that I left the theater in tears wishing there were someone, anyone, to hold. Paul Dano literally gets inside of Brian Wilson's head, at least I think he does, and I'm hard put to figure out whether it was the movie or the acting or Brian Wilson's head and thoughts and genius and soul or the whole shebang that left me so undone. I was one of those east coast girls who listened to The Beach Boys through a set of giant puffy headphones connected to a smoky plastic-covered turntable that sat on my green shagged carpeting, the beaches of southern California only a dream, but I had no idea, just absolutely no idea.












More 3-Line Movie Reviews


Not a Three Line Movie Review
While We're Young
Ida

Force Majeur 
Gone Girl
Saint Vincent

Get on Up
Begin Again
Chef
The Immigrant

Cesar Chavez

The Grand Budapest Hotel
Gloria

Labor Day 
Philomena














5 comments:

  1. I wish I could have seen it with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time I ever heard the Beach Boys (and I do remember that moment) I knew something incredible was going on. I absolutely cannot wait to see this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping to see it next weekend or the one after, even persuade my Sweetie and her bad back could sit through it. Nice interview with Paul Dano on All Things Considered Weekend today, may be up on NPR's website by now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for this review! This movie wasn't even on my radar, but I love the Beach Boys (like you, I found them emblematic of a mystical, mythical California throughout my youth). I will definitely see it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If there is one villain in rock n roll, it's Eugene Landy.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...