Tuesday, January 6, 2015

"Home is a Medicine Unto Itself"


Gustav Klimt

“The wind blew my eyes off my face and I caught them in my hand,” my son declared, pointing to his pre-school art project. The assignment was to glue a hat, pants, shirt, mouth and eyes where they belong on a pre-drawn outline of a human body. The hat was where you would expect it, as were the mouth, shirt and pants. But both eyes were glued to the left hand.

“Wow, that’s poetic!” I replied, and wrote down the quote at the bottom of the paper with his age, “2 and a half.” Then I taped the masterpiece to his bedroom wall.

A week later he had a seizure, which turned out to be the first symptom of autoimmune encephalitis.

an excerpt from Sandra Stein's essay, Home is a Medicine Unto Itself
in The Atlantic


One of the abiding positive effects of blogging is the friends I've made, the intense relationships that have developed despite geographic distance. I met Sandra several years ago online when she contacted me after reading my blog, and in the years that followed we've exchanged emails, texts and telephone calls, sharing much of our lives, our hopes, our tribulations and dark senses of humor. Sandra's article in The Atlantic is so beautifully written, and her story -- her son's story -- is one that will take your breath away, as it took mine.

5 comments:

  1. That is quite possibly the best thing for me to read every day for a while.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful piece! I am stunned. Thanks for sharing that, dear Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is extraordinary. Thank you Elizabeth for bringing this to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the link. Sounds like an engrossing article. I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The opening alone is wonderful- I'll bet the rest of it is, as well. Thanks for the pointer.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...