In a small zippered leather purse that looks like the old-time New York City coffee cups, I carry the following items everywhere I go:
- a cut-out photo of Sophie when she was recently diagnosed with infantile spasms and puffed up due to steroids
- a silk and silver pacifier clip that someone gave me when Sophie was born and is emblematic of that brief time before when sucking on a pacifier was enough to calm her crying
- a New York City subway token -- because I loved living there for the almost nine years I did so
- a dirtied, softened piece of paper with a note from my father that accompanied a check he sent to me for a treatment we wanted to try when Sophie was a baby. This is going to work, it said.
- Several angel charms
- A LOVE charm
- A Flow charm
- A MIRACLE stone
- A bug encased in a marble that I forgot to give one of my boys and decided to keep myself
Reader, what things do you carry?