Friday, September 7, 2012

Break It



Does it matter that I now know the difference between a real problem and a simple annoyance? Does it matter that I have been stripped of every pretense, self-indulgent thought, and vanity that ever existed inside me? Does it matter that I see the shallowness, greed, entitlement and selfishness of our society while at the same time have infinite compassion and patience with it’s denizens?

The above words are those of one of my favorite bloggers who always cuts straight through to the most powerful and essential. As the mother of a child with severe disabilities, she knows like the rest of us about living questions and holding paradox. She writes gloriously, angrily, with love and compassion. Read the rest here. And read the comments.

11 comments:

  1. Loved the video... shared it on facebook! Found you in Cjane's comments~ God bless your sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your friend's blog had me weeping at my desk, and feeling somehow grateful for the sharing, and the perspective. thank you, elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How, how can anyone in that situation, think so clearly and concisely and then SHARE it so eloquently? Astonishing.

    And so too is that picture of Sophie - that smile on her face just set off fireworks in my heart. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your community. I don't even...
    I can't.
    If there is anything which holds you all together (us all, too, in the scheme of things) it has to be the sort of love which I think is energy of the universe but which so few humans actually tap into.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this photo and Sophie's radiant smile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Elizabeth...love that photo of your Sophie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As always, reading your posts and posts like the one you recommended so humbles me. I cannot even begin to pretend I know what it must be like to watch your child struggle, to love, and to do the work required to care for her and be as alive and engaged as you are. It's astonishingly beautiful. Sweet Jo

    ReplyDelete
  8. God, I love claire. i mean really truly love her... like, would give her my kidney, my arm, a million dollars if i had it to give. now why can't an amazing woman and writer like that get a book deal? she needs a book deal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought I had left this comment but apparently not. I love this photo of Sophie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing this. Beautiful photo of Sophie too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...