Friday, September 14, 2012

Combustion

via Los Angeles Times

When I stepped outside today, it felt like I had stepped into a furnace. I honestly had no idea it was that hot outside because it rarely is that hot in my mid-town neighborhood, seven or so miles from the Pacific and way more miles from the deep, dark Valley. I thought to myself that the air was so dry and so hot that I could strike a match in the air in front of my nose and the whole city would combust. Sophie came home from school hot to the touch -- the buses out here in Lala land aren't all air-conditioned -- and while I'm not blaming that for the huge seizure she had at the dinner table (she has them all the time anyway), I'm sure that it didn't help. There are fires burning to the west and up in the hills around The Getty Center, fires large enough to see from my house, the plumes reddish-yellow, the air faintly smoky. I guess the season has begun.

8 comments:

  1. That would be terrifying. I pray that "the season" will be short and the fires put out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And metaphor becomes reality.
    Stay cool, darling. Try your best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every year this happens! Couldn't they find a way to prevent it? Keep cool and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before I left work this morning I was watching the weather forecast and it said it was going to be 37 C in Los Angeles today. I was thinking of you and hoped your air conditioning was turned on full blast. That is just TOO hot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a scary picture. Stay cool, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love and light to all those who live in the mountains and gear up for this fright every fall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I clearly remember flying into LA last (?) year during fire season - It was at night but the fires lit up the hills and it felt like we were descending into the bowels of hell.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...