What do you do about Sophie's medicine at school and do you tell her school what she's taking?
You'll know later why I posted this daffy photo of myself that I took on hour five or so the other day that I spent in the Los Angeles airport, waiting for the Chicago airport to open. I loved those glasses, but they cost $65 which is ridiculous, even if they were vintage and everything's coming up -- oops, I don't want to give it away.
Here's what I do about Sophie's medicine at school. I don't give it to her at school but wait for her to come home to give her second dose. The first dose comes at 7:00 or 8:00 in the morning, about an hour or so before breakfast and before her other meds. The second dose comes about 3:00 or 4:00 in the afternoon, and the third comes at 10:00 at night when she's already asleep. That last dose is the most tricky, but so far we've been able to manage getting it in her mouth followed by a sip or two from her sippee cup and some gentle stroking of her cheeks to provoke the swallow reflex. She rarely wakes up.
Here's what I tell her school about the cannabis: nothing. I have told her teacher and aide, quite privately, that we're using it, but I haven't told the nurse or the principal or the vice-principal or the special education director or Oz Downtown because it's none of their business. You might raise your eyebrows at this, especially if you live in California and know about earthquake plans and emergency medicine supplies. I realized today that several months of the school year have gone by, and I haven't renewed Sophie's earthquake emergency medications in the school nursing office. To tell you the truth, I might have let the entire school year go by last year and not taken care of that either. That is wrong, I admit, and irresponsible. If there were an earthquake, and we were not able to get Sophie, she would be in deep shit without the regular administration of the two antiepileptic drugs that she takes, even though neither controls her seizures. Why is this? Because stopping these AEDS abruptly is very, very dangerous. Out here in earthquake territory, we are supposed to have water reserves for three days at a minimum and up to ten days. "They" recommend a week's supply of medication as well.
What does this have to do with cannabis? you ask. Here's the thing. I'm not worried about leaving cannabis with Sophie's school because going without the cannabis for a few days is unlikely to kill her. Yes, she might start having bazillions of seizures again like the old days, which is never very good, but she isn't addicted to the cannabis, and I can stop and start it with relative ease. Each dose is not harming her in unseen and obvious ways. That just struck me today, like an earthquake. I thought, too, about the questions I get from readers about how nervous they are to try cannabis, how they struggle with their disapproving doctors, how they wait for their doctors to lead their every single move. I might get into trouble with this (not real trouble but more the kind of disapproval that some people have for those of us considered difficult, crazy or uncompliant), but I do what I think is best, and I don't give a flying foofoo what the doctor thinks (beyond the obvious). Twenty years has given me that confidence, and while I wouldn't ever tell someone to "disobey" their doctor, I seriously question the whole doctor says thing especially when it comes to cannabis.
Now, if I could only get up the nerve to do another wean of one of those AEDs, everything truly would be coming up daisies. In the meantime, I'm going to get those emergency supplies to the nurse at school. May there be no earthquakes when Sophie's at school, though. Please.